So you're giving Veganuary a try this month but you're stuck for a protein-packed post-workout meal. Fear not, we've got you covered. Cheap, easy, quick + nutritious. Ready?
As with so many recipes, a well stocked seasoning cupboard is your friend here. If you're buying some of the ingredients for the first time it might cost a bit more, but with something like sriracha you can use it for everything from a stir fry to a salad dressing. So no regrets.
Serves 2 or pack up the other half for lunch the next day.
- 300g firm tofu (£2)
- 300g rice noodles (£1.50)
- 160g spinach (£1.50 for a bag)
- 40g spring onions (60p for a bunch - if they're small-ish, chuck in the lot for a flavour punch)
- 160g mushrooms (£1)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (if you haven't tried this before, thank us later)
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder (or fresh ginger if you prefer)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 lime (use the other half as a garnish squeezed over the top)
- 10g coriander (tip: chop + freeze in an ice cube tray to always have instant fresh herbs like our mate Amy here)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp tobasco/sriracha/chilli sauce (something hot + red basically)
Instructions (don't worry if you're new to cooking - it's simple)
1. Crush or chop your garlic up small as you can.
2. Heat a wok or frying pan with the tbsp sesame oil.
3. Add your garlic to the pan + fry on a low heat.
4. Chop the spring onions + add to the pan.
5. Cut the lime in half + squeeze into the mix.
6. Add the chilli flakes.
7. Chop the tofu into cubes + in it goes.
8. Slice the mushrooms + whack them in too.
8. Put on a pot of boiling water + put the rice noodles in
9. Using a fork, mix the sesame oil, peanut butter, the juice from the remaining 1/2 lime, soy sauce, sugar, ginger powder + tobasco/sriracha/chilli sauce together in a little bowl. Think of it like a salad dressing or sauce.
10. Add the spinach + coriander to the pan for 2 minutes, then bring the pan off the heat.
11. Dish up rice noodles on a plate, top with the tofu + veg + drizzle the peanut dressing on top. Ta da.
If you make this, send us your photos ... but nothing that could end up on someoneatethis.tumblr.com please.